May 1, 2019
Equinix Completes Expansion of Second Data Centre in Perth to Support Strong Customer Momentum
Meeting interconnection demands as Western Australia invests in digital transformation
SYDNEY, Australia – May 2, 2019 – Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data centre company, has completed the US$11 million (A$15.6 million) expansion of its second International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centre in Perth. Known as PE2, the expanded facility brings enhanced interconnection capabilities to its local customers including IMDEX and Servers Australia.
Last month the Government of Western Australia1 announced it will invest A$34.7 million (approximately US$24.8 million) in digital transformation in the public sector through the Office of Digital Government, and the expansion of Equinix IBX in Perth will further accelerate the pace. The increased connectivity Equinix provides in Western Australia also includes access to the Australia Singapore Cable (ASC), which terminates at PE2, enabling Equinix to meet customer demands for interconnection and networking capabilities among businesses in Australia and Southeast Asia.
As businesses increasingly migrate to the cloud, it is vital for organisations to be able to operate closer to the digital edge to enable more efficient interconnection and collaboration between their employees, partners and customers. The expansion of the PE2 facility, together with its national footprint across Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Adelaide and Brisbane will play an important role in helping Western Australian businesses accelerate their hybrid multicloud migration and digital transformation.
- The PE2 IBX is situated about 13.7 miles (approximately 22 kilometres) from the Perth Airport. The expansion has added 225 cabinets and an estimated colocation space of more than 550 square metres (approximately 5,900 square feet) to the facility, bringing the total capacity of PE2 to 700 cabinets and an estimated colocation space of 1,720 square metres (approximately 18,500 square feet).
- PE2 offers a wide range of interconnection options as part of Platform Equinix®, including Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™), which allows customers to privately interconnect cloud and network ecosystems of more than 1,400 customers at 37 metros around the world, including Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, IBM Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Oracle Cloud, and more.
- The Vocus-owned ASC terminates at the PE2 IBX and is also accessible in Equinix IBX data centres in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Adelaide and Brisbane, as well as Singapore. This provides Equinix customers with the ability to interconnect their IT infrastructures and use high performance applications when doing business with Southeast Asia and other parts of the world.
- Recently, Equinix also announced new IBX data centres in Sydney and Melbourne, named SY5 and ME2 respectively. Equinix will have a national footprint of 17 IBX data centres across Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Adelaide and Brisbane, when SY5 and ME2 open in Q3 2019.
- ECX Fabric is currently available in 37 metros globally, including Perth, Melbourne and Sydney in Australia, and other markets across Amsterdam, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Culpeper, Dallas, Denver, Dublin, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Geneva, Helsinki, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Los Angeles, Madrid, Manchester, Miami, Milan, Munich, New York, Osaka, Paris, São Paulo, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Stockholm, Tokyo, Toronto, Warsaw, Washington, D.C. and Zurich.
- Customers set to benefit from the completion of the PE2 expansion include IMDEX, a mining technology company that enables near real-time analysis for mining companies to enable critical decision making for exploration, mining and production. In supporting its business growth and expansion in Australia, IMDEX selected Equinix for its national and global reach to move its IT infrastructure closer to the cloud edge, with a multicloud strategy set to be implemented over the next six months.
- In addition, Servers Australia, which offers solutions for cloud hosting, colocation, dedicated servers, PaaS, IaaS and DRaaS, also built its distributed infrastructures on Platform Equinix throughout Australia. The company currently deploys in Equinix data centres in Melbourne and Sydney, as well as PE2, to offer its customers fast, reliable interconnection and hosting.
- Jared Hirst, Managing Director, Servers Australia
“Servers Australia was established to improve the quality of servers offered in our local market and support local demand for hosting services. To maintain our high level of quality and continue delivering the best services to our customers we need a data centre provider that allows us to expand our footprint on a national scale and enables us to connect with global customers and partners. Equinix delivers on this for us, and the expansion of the PE2 IBX data centre will allow us to continue our growth.”
- Stefanie Williams, Analyst, 451 Research
“The Australia Singapore Cable’s connecting Perth to mainland Asia is expected to boost demand in Perth’s data centre and interconnection market. A market previously limited by an aging and unreliable subsea cable, the ASC positions Perth to become the digital hub of Australia’s west coast. Perth-based enterprises will now be able to capitalise on opportunities to further their digital transformation with the expansion of Equinix’s PE2 IBX, which houses the landing point for the ASC.”
- Jeremy Deutsch, Managing Director, Equinix Australia
“Since entering the West Australian market just over a year ago, we’ve seen substantial growth in the state’s digital economy. This expansion of our footprint in Perth will further our ability to offer affordable, scalable, lower latency options for our customers located on the West Coast of Australia and those global customers of ours who are interested in moving into the West Australian market. The interconnection options available in PE2, including our Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric and subsea cable access, will help support our customers during their digital transformation journeys as they move their business closer to the digital edge and look to expand globally.”
- Equinix Data Centres in Perth [website]
- ECX Fabric Datasheet [website]
- IDC – Breaking the digital deadlock to thrive in the Australian Market [analyst report]
- Equinix to Connect Vocus Australia Singapore Cable in Australia and Singapore [press release]
Equinix,Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most-interconnected data centres. On this global platform for digital business, companies come together across more than 50 markets on five continents to reach everywhere, interconnect everyone and integrate everything they need to create their digital futures. Equinix.com.au.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centres and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centres; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see recent Equinix quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
1 Government of Western Australia, media statement, April 1, 2019
(Asia-Pacific), Equinix, Annie Ho, +852 2970-7761, firstname.lastname@example.org; (Australia), Howorth Communications, Christy Seddon,, +413 890 819, email@example.com